Sophos Central

Suggest, discuss, and vote on new ideas for Sophos Central. The unified console for managing your Sophos products.
Please raise all product releated feature requests in the respective product forum

Suggest an Idea for Sophos Central...

Alert user reboot required after software update is pending

I can see a lot of computers have "Reboot required after software update" alert in the Sophos Central. However, users never get any notifications about the required restart.

Can you modify the user interface such that user will get notification about the restart every 30 minutes, then every 20 minutes, then every 10 minutes and then every 5 minutes?

195 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derrick Wong shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at changes to help avoid large numbers of reboot related alerts. This work is not yet planned, so I can’t provide a date, but the proposed implementation would be as below.

For urgent reboots, e.g. to complete removal of a competitor product being replaced, users will see a notification immediately.

For non-urgent reboots (i.e. where protection is maintained), users will not see a reboot for the first 2 weeks (typically they will reboot in this time anyway, e.g. for windows updates).

If not rebooted for 2 weeks they will see a notification they can dismiss.

The reboot notification be persistent on an endpoint; it will require acknowledgement by the user to clear it. We would expect to have a registry key to be able to prevent this behaviour for systems like shop tills, advertising displays and so on.

If a further week goes by without a reboot they will see another. Only then will an admin alert be generated.

The “Improved device list views” feature will allow admins to identify systems pending a reboot regardless of alerts should this information be needed:

https://ideas.sophos.com/forums/428821/suggestions/37144834

Please also note the reboot required alert is currently only when protection is impacted, or some other important actions are pending, e.g. competitor removal on initial install. A typical IDE update every few hours does not trigger this as full protection is maintained.

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul Neumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add the reboot alert to workstations. This should have been on the first version of the software.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have complained about this issue numerous times. Sophos Home post a reboot popup window and that window stays there until the user acknowledges it. But this enterprise solution (if you want to call it that) does not even put as popup any more. I can understand some enterprise customers control this in another way and might not want the popup but this should be an option switch in the Console not forced to comply with what you thought was best option

• HH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No movement because Sophos is useless ****. No other software for an AV product requires a reboot for every ******* update.
    Its not like every update is going to update the "Engine" just the Dat file, so why the reboots. This has caused most users to become very angry about doing these constant, never ending pestering of having them reboot. They all wonder what kind of **** we are running that has so many problems that require reboots.

Never mind REBOOTS, we are just going to shorten that to BOOT, and BOOT it out of our Enterprise before is causes anymore people to have suicidal thoughts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My sentiments exactly. I will like configurable email alerts. e.g. set limit how many laptops should be non-compliant before sending alert.

• R Farr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any movement on this? (I'm talking to you, Sophos!)

How crazy is it that there are all these warning events being displayed in the admin console and we as admins can only encourage our users to reboot their computers every time they are never notified by the Sophos software that a reboot is required. Help!

• Phillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely helpful. We can mitigate this for our on premise systems but we cant for some of our remote offices. This should be a part of the product.

THis is a requirement! Give the option for these alerts. Allow it to be turned on globally or via policy and allow the frequency to be selected, such as once a day, every 2 days, 3 days, or whatever, 30 min, 10min 2 hours, etc.

This is a required feature for us. Please simply make a global option to enable reboot reminders for Sophos clients. This is by far the number one thing that clogs up our sophos central alerts is clients that have not rebooted after updates. Even after telling users to reboot, they still don't, because the forget. If sophos would simply alert the user to reboot everyday until they reboot this would be nice. But of course make it an option, as I'm sure some customers wouldn't want the pop ups.

• Jonathan Haddock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desktop notification will help maintain protection. Users are familiar with rebooting their computers so doing this at the end of the day shouldn't be an issue.

• Andy Circle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am constantly receiving complaints from our users that their machines are seizing up or running really slow. Everytime there has been a Sophos software update. After a reboot the issue is resolved. Please add this desktop notification ASAP.

I see that Sophos Home Beta has improved the reboot prompt by presenting a pop up window that the user has to acknowledge will this functionality make it to the Sophos Central Client and this option should prompt again if user does not reboot within a certain amount of time no longer then 24 hours

Would be good if you could force a reboot on particular devices as well. AVG for example allows you to force reboot machines and set a timer. This basically pops up a message on the users machine saying reboot within say 30 minutes or your machine will restart automatically in 30 minutes.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Start rebooting your endpoints nightly or weekly - seriously. Not only will it fix this issue, it will also: eliminate password expired problems (especially daily, they get warnings every day they log in to change it starting two weeks out, and it forces them to change it when it does expire).
    I've seen 8 people logged in to a PC that hasn't been rebooted in a couple months - turnover or just random people using that machine.
    Probably helps Windows Update or your patch management stuff do it's thing too, I dunno, why not.

I have the same problem and Sophos is telling me Development is still working on the problem but I agree we need to have some control on what alerts do what and to what groups

• Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a strong proponent of this measure. This measure improves not only operations but also security of the protected system (and people and data).
    I would also extend this suggestion. It would be beneficial to allow administrator to configure time when the restart would be forced, the same way as it is available in Windows OS for Microsoft updates.

• Wade Kappenman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to turn certain notifications on or off would be nice. We currently have one server for what ever reason will not update on it's own so even though the server says it's updated 100% we will get a notification every two days that the server missed two agent updates and we have to manually login and update the agent. Support gave up on this issue, so a way to disable it would be nice.

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be alerted only on important conditions. Being alerted that a laptop has missed two updates (laptops are often off for more than two days) is not helpful and, in fact, may result in the team paying less attention to Sophos alerts. We need to be able to configure this or at minimum, please change the default. Thanks,

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

icon-data-protection icon-endpoint-protection icon-phish-threat icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-mobile icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-web-appliance icon-xg-firewall icon-xg-firewall icon-avid-secure icon-lightbulbCreated with Sketch.