XG Firewall

Suggest, discuss, and vote on new ideas for Sophos XG Firewall. The next thing in next-gen.

Suggest an Idea...

Validate passwords entered for smarthost and notifications

It appears that passwords of a certain length or containing certain characters are not properly handled by Sophos when it attempts to authenticate with a smarthost. The result is that Sophos cannot authenticate with the smarthost and outbound e-mails remain stuck in the spool, showing as failed. There is no indicating in the logs accessible in the GUI that the problem is an authentication error.

It might save users some frustration if Sophos were to either include validation logic to reject problematic passwords when they are entered and/or including a note or tip in the GUI indicating the applicable parameters for such passwords.

I should perhaps note that this only applies to versions after 17.1.4. I encountered this issue as I previously had used a long, complex password (35 characters) for the smarthost, which resulted in authentication errors when I updated to a later version of the firmware. It worked just fine in 17.1.4 and previous versions.

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base

icon-data-protection icon-endpoint-protection icon-phish-threat icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-mobile icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-web-appliance icon-xg-firewall icon-xg-firewall icon-avid-secure icon-lightbulbCreated with Sketch.