Endpoint Protection

Suggest, discuss, and vote on new ideas for Sophos Endpoint Protection. Comprehensive security for users and data

Suggest an Idea...

Disable Tamper Protection through Command Line

Hi,

Somethimes, managing 1000+ or even 5000+ machine its difficult, even more if we don't have built-in features in the console to remediate/uninstall corrupt/broken installations.

But, the main problem is not that. The problem is that we CANNOT disable Tamper Protection remotely to reinstall/remove Sophos AV, in the following cases:

1) Console was erased/failed and there's no cert/db/registry backup (all Endpoint with Tamper enabled)
2) Broken installations dont apply Tamper Policies (to disable it)
3) Migrated console (don't have the old one).

All this would be solved by having the chance to disable Tamper through Command Line. Example

Case A: Failure in console and no backup.

Solution: Create GPO Policy that disables Tamper with script:

@echo off
c:\program files\Sophos\Sophos Antivirus\DisableTamper.exe /password:TamperPassword
c:\installer\SophosReInit.vbs (to use with migration utility)

Case B: Broken instalation:

Solution: Create SCCM colection that does the following

@echo off
c:\program files\Sophos\Sophos Antivirus\DisableTamper.exe /password:TamperPassword

:: uninstall sophos
MSIEXEC /X{blablabla} /NORESTART

c:\instaler\SophosEndpoint_Newinstaller.exe

I mean, you get the idea. If I get the chance to disable Tamper through command line, it helps me to do more thing remotely without bothering the final user and the admin people.

Not asking to disable all without any proof that I manage the system, but if I do know the password, I should be able to put it, either GUI or CLI, specially the CLI, to help automatize.

Thanks,

Antonio.

18 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Antonio Cienfuegos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This tool now exists, it's called sedcli.exe and installed with the SED component.

• Owen Dickenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've recently found a need to move some of our staff down to the "helpdesk" role in Sophos Central. This took away the ability to disable tamper protection on a device from within the console, and will significantly increase the impact (and its duration) of an incident which requires removal/re-install of Sophos. With this feature, our second line support staff would be able to uninstall remotely, and then re-install without affecting the end user.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

icon-data-protection icon-endpoint-protection icon-phish-threat icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-mobile icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-web-appliance icon-xg-firewall icon-xg-firewall icon-avid-secure icon-lightbulbCreated with Sketch.