Endpoint Protection

Suggest, discuss, and vote on new ideas for Sophos Endpoint Protection. Comprehensive security for users and data

Suggest an Idea...

Single Download for a Full Installer that is automatically updated with the latest updates.

Some of my customers have really bad internet which means that installing your software is beyond a joke for 30 or 40 PCs, I ended up creating a single installer from your white papers however a location to download a FullInstaller that always kept up to date with downloads would be really useful meaning that only future updates would need downloading.

3 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ll look again at the issue of “fat” or “single” installers in the future. We are currently working on an even thinner installer but that should pave the way to more flexibility and could mean an easier way to create your own customised (read fat) installer. We stopped creating the fat installers as they become out of date very quickly and we now also have more components to download and install for some licenses which would mean creating even more installers, better to have a “vanilla” installer that all can use and a method for customers who need a fat installer to create their own. No promises on a timeline for this yet though.

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Soporte Suma Financiera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Mr Darren,
    Our IT department is focused to offer a "single" installer with a few settings.
    Yesterday we submitted a ticket and Sophos Support suggested to visit this web site to request that feature.

Thank you in advance,

Suma Financiera

• James Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Darren thanks for your reply...

I did discuss it with your support and was told there wasn't any way to force clients to update from the Cache. So I don’t feel this is needed to be investigated as only the full installer will install all of the software and I got around it by using a full installer that was much better in this situation. My request is to have one available online and not to have to create it manually.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/121318.aspx

I stumbled upon a white paper that creates the full installer at only 250 MB ish download once for all of the PCs this is why I have requested the full installer as it was a single 250 MB file to install all PCs and servers. Instead of the comparable massive download and flaky cache. This worked perfectly although one PC needed to install first and fully update before I could create it.

• James Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Darren

Thanks for your reply, Yes it is the cloud antivirus that I am after, the self created full installer was really good I am after a similar system where I can take the installer with me I have tried the caching server option on a higher capacity line and 90% of the PCs ignored it. If this was all I was relying on it would cripple the companies internet access until all of the PCs were completed... What I am after is a large file download once then I can run it on all the PCs needed causing minimal internet activity. The way i completed the install was to follow a white paper to manually create the full installer - https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/121318.aspx - I think it would be easier to just download one file instead of having to set up 1 PC first to use as a template.

The cache at the moment appears a weak option as it doesnt appear to be used, 9 out of the 50 PCs I set up, if this could be used for 100% of the PCs it would have more value IMHO.

Cheers

James..

Feedback and Knowledge Base

icon-data-protection icon-endpoint-protection icon-phish-threat icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-mobile icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-web-appliance icon-xg-firewall icon-xg-firewall icon-avid-secure icon-lightbulbCreated with Sketch.