SG UTM

Suggest, discuss, and vote on new ideas for SG UTM. The ultimate network security package.

Suggest an Idea...

Allow more IP's on Home/Free UTM

with all the connected devices its becoming very easy to hit the 50 IP limit on a home edition license. Throw in a few lab servers and you are almost guaranteed to.

Any chance this can be increased? I see a few years ago this was done.

34 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chase Hansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the XG Firewall is not providing the same Granular funktionality like the UTM.
        for example: I don't understand why a LAG need a IP address and when i configure a VLAN ontop of the LAG the DHCPclient on the LAG gets a IP out of this pool , or why should a network needs to have a dhcp server ?

Anyway, Please extend this cout to more then 50IPS, we are 5 USers at home and when our provider does renumbering of IPv6 it allways blows the license table bi having ipv4 and ipv6 addresses in the table...

• Scott Neader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm bumping into the 50 IP limit in our home as well. The straws that broke the camel's back are our new Nest smoke detectors and thermostats, and a few new Roku media streaming devices.

As others have said, I'd love to be able to purchase an upgrade to make it 100 devices.

• SargeHendricks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alan,

Can you elaborate on that please? I have been running a home license for years, and my machine recently "blew up" (motherboard failure), and I bought a new ThinkServer to run UTM on. Will I now have to buy the same license as some SMB? Just wondering how that new licensing model is going to work... specifically.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you give us more details please? What exactly will the free license allow us to have?

• Chase Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is great news, was going to hold off on the Copernicus beta because of the uncertainty around home licenses but with this information it looks like I've got a new home project!

Right now i'm using 2vcpu's and 2gb of ram with no performance issues on my 100/100 connection.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alan - this is great!

Will the CPU/RAM consideration (in lieu of IP count) reduce speed/performance then? For example, today I'm using an I7 processor and 4 GB of ram (via VMWare) and do not have speed throughput issues on my 300/300 meg connection.

If CPU/Memory will now drive licensing, will it reduce speeds and responsiveness? Some sort of performance throttle on free licenses for home users?

Thanks

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With free virtualization products (VMWare ESXi, Windows VM, etc) smart thermostats, roku players, iPads, iPhones, SmartTVs, etc - its getting very easy to get near/bump up against the 50 IP address limit. Allowing this number to be a soft limit or allowing home users to even pay for a lower cost license (think SG105) it would be fantastic. In my case, the SG105 was used in my home but the faster speeds offered by my ISP could not be used with the SG105 hardware.

• Manuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!!! It would be fantastic, if sophos would offer an extension for the home license to handle more than 50 IP´s !!! I would pay also a little one-off payment for this. So you can extend your home license e.g. in 50 IP steps till a max. of e.g. 200 IP´s before you must buy a expensive other license. But please don´t remove a other feature from the home license for this extension !!! :-)

• Ham Solo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would not have to be a ton more, maybe 75-100 instead of 50. Frankly I as a home user would be willing to pay a one time purchase cost of something reasonable to unlock say an extra 50. You guys are leaving money on the table with this to me.

• Emily R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely agree. Especially with all of the devices available. Maybe make it 100.

• Frank Zwierski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree. Today you have normally IPv6 and IPV4 so a lot devices own 2 IPs. Then you normally habe a Fileserver like Freenas where you need IPs for every Plugin-Jail. My Phones, Tabs, TVs, Musicplayer and especially a lot of Home-Automation stuff are need an IP and protection. So 50 is really small today.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

icon-data-protection icon-endpoint-protection icon-phish-threat icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-mobile icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-web-appliance icon-xg-firewall icon-xg-firewall icon-lightbulbCreated with Sketch.