SG UTM

Suggest, discuss, and vote on new ideas for SG UTM. The ultimate network security package.

Suggest an Idea...

DHCP on RED

I think it would be great if we have an option to move the DHCP server for RED networks from the UTM to the RED device. This would allow normal LAN access (e.g. file and print sharing) at the remote site even with a disconnected or outage on your uplink.

45 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although a great idea, RED stands for Remote Ethernet Device. Functionality like this and many other idea's in this category will result in a... UTM :)

• Steffen Hornung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have a RED-DHCP as a fallback if internet/tunnel goes down.
    no need for a local dhcp on RED if tunnel is up.

I like this idea but the RED 10 I don't believe has enough grunt to handle this. The device is only really a switch with a VPN connector.

However, you can configure the red to work in a split mode, so you host a local DHCP server locally and then captures any traffic going across to the other subnet and routes it through.

This is a great idea and I can see this for possibly the RED 50. It would be great if the RED Device could simply take marching orders from the UTM, but function independently. Local NAT Translations, Web Filter, etc.. even if the connection to the UTM is lost.

Sadly I don't think that this will ever happen.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

icon-data-protection icon-endpoint-protection icon-phish-threat icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-central icon-sophos-mobile icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-sophos-utm icon-web-appliance icon-xg-firewall icon-xg-firewall icon-avid-secure icon-lightbulbCreated with Sketch.